Here is a hearty meal that will fill you up and warm the body in no time. It has protein and carbs within the polenta especially, and acts as a perfect winter warmer, it is also super easy to prepare.
I returned home to a few random ingredients left lying about the house after the weekend but no fear there is always something to put together to make fortifying meal like this Thai soup made from hazelnut milk! Instead of coconut milk.
The milk is very versatile and can be used just as dairy milk in cooking and hazelnut has many benefits and that sweet flavour too!
HAZELNUT MILK: possesses several health-boosting properties:
1. all hazelnut milk is naturally gluten-, lactose-, and soy-free
2. it is low in calories, containing no cholesterol or saturated fat
3. it is a good source of vitamins B1, B2 and B6 which are all essential in blood formation and mental health
4. hazelnuts are also an excellent source of the antioxidant vitamin E which promotes healthy hair and skin, as well as boosting the health of the heart muscles
5. hazelnuts help to prevent anaemia, cancer and heart-disease
6. rich in folic acid, which is important for growing babies and adults, this helps to produce red blood cells and transport oxygen around the body
7. hazelnuts also provides the body with proteins
8. it is rich in plant-based omega-3 fatty acid ALA, which has been proven to help keep cholesterol and blood pressure in check.
Without further ado here is the recipe :
1 pint of hazelnut milk
2 cups of water
1 vegan and gluten free vegetable stock cube
2 spoons of Thai green curry paste
2 cups of organic mushrooms- any variety
1 aubergine diced and cubed
1 courgette sliced
4 small sweet red peppers sliced
2 potatoes cubed
1 cup of coconut cream
Handful of chopped coriander
2 bay or kaffir lime leaves
Sprinkle of salt and pepper
And a drizzle of tamari sauce
4 cups water
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp turmeric
1 1/4 cups polenta, fine ground
Prepare the polenta first by putting 2 cups into boiling water in a saucepan, stirring for about 15 minutes until it firms up and set aside. This will later be cut, shaped and pan fried.
Place all Thai stew ingredients in a saucepan with the paste and on high heat for about 5 minutes stirring with a spoon of coconut oil lightly frying off the quick marinated veg then add the hazelnut milk, coconut cream and water and let slowly cook for about 30-40 minutes.
Pan fry some polenta on high hear for about two minutes each side – I have cut in into Circle shapes here which was easy with a circular baking shape!
Dish out the stew with the polenta and garnish with coriander and enjoy 🌿✌🏻️